Grilling season is here!
Here in San Diego it never really left…Lack of seasons is something my Virginia roots will never fully grasp. But nevertheless, hooray for warm weather and meals on the back deck!
If you’re looking for something to grill this Memorial Day Weekend, let it be these honey sesame chicken skewers! This is a family recipe I’ve made dozens of times. It is so simple to throw together, and always a crowd-pleaser. I love adding some vegetable skewers to the grill along with the chicken. The flavors really compliment each other and make for a perfect, light summer meal.
This is one of those meals nobody ever notices is totally gluten-free. It’s just good, real food! Simple as that.
My 3-year-old is crazy about this chicken. Aside from the delicious flavor, something about the meat being bite-sized and on a stick makes it totally irresistible to him. I couldn’t agree more. Everything skewered just tastes better!
- 1/3 cup gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-3 chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (I used herbamare seasoned salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all the ingredients for marinade and whisk to combine. Add the chicken and marinade in for 2-8 hours. If you are using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in warm water for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
- For the vegetables, cut them all into 1-inch pieces and place in a bowl. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Then thread onto skewers
- Preheat an oven broiler or gas/charcoal grill. Thread the chicken onto the skewers Broil or grill the chicken and vegetable skewers for 5-8 minutes until cooked through, using nonstick cooking spray on a foil-lined pan if you are broiling. Serve immediately and enjoy!
*Substitute the soy sauce with coconut aminos to make these soy-free/paleo!