Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli and Cheddar Rice! Tastes like a delicious chicken, broccoli and rice casserole – but in half the time!
A few months ago my husband and I got on an instant pot kick that started because we fell in love with this recipe for Instant Pot Southwestern Chicken and Rice. It is such an easy, tasty, all-in-one dinner that we make at least twice a month.
For awhile I’ve been wanting to try a chicken, broccoli and cheddar version. This one is just as delicious and definitely doesn’t disappoint!
My latest instant pot discovery is that you can perfectly cook broccoli in 0 minutes at high pressure. I like to use this steamer basket that fits nicely inside my instant pot. The broccoli cooks while the instant pot comes up to pressure – then you quick release the pressure and it’s done. Perfect broccoli every time!
At first I tried this recipe cooking the broccoli with the brown rice and chicken but it turned to mush. Because the brown rice needs a long cook time I leave the chicken breasts whole and nestle them down into the liquid for cooking. The chicken turns moist and easy-to-shred while the rice gets all the way done. No crunchy rice in sight!
Chicken breast can definitely cook faster on it’s own – but the brown rice needs the full 22 minutes.
I like to fold in a little sour cream and sharp cheddar cheese into the rice when it’s done cooking.
I also like to top everything with a crushed tortilla chip/butter topping. It makes a naturally gluten-free topping and the end result tastes like a delicious chicken, broccoli and rice casserole – but in half the time!
Instant Pot Chicken Breasts from A Mind Full MomPrint
I’ve tried this recipe with long grain brown rice and it works great, but I really love/prefer using my favorite Sprouted Brown Rice in this recipe. (Not sponsored, I just love this rice!) The broccoli cooks perfectly using this steamer basket.
WITH FROZEN CHICKEN: This works great with frozen chicken. Just keep the cook time the same. The long cook time is to ensure the rice cooks through so frozen or fresh chicken will work. It may take a few extra minutes for the pressure to come up, but the recipe will turn out great. Do not use more than 1lb of frozen chicken.
- 1lb broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice (I like using this Sprouted Brown Rice best)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1lb chicken breast (about 2 small chicken breasts)
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- crushed tortilla chips + melted butter
- Place a steamer basket in the bottom of the instant pot. (This also works with no steamer basket.) Add 1 cup of water and place the broccoli florets in the steamer basket. Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 0 minutes (select Manual and then dial down to 0; the IP will start on it’s own and the broccoli will cook perfectly as it pressurizes). Immediately release the pressure and set the broccoli aside. Pour out the remaining water.
- Place the brown rice, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, soy sauce and chicken stock in the instant pot. Stir to combine.
- Nestle the chicken breasts (leave them whole so they won’t get dry during cooking) down in the rice/liquid mixture.
- Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 22 minutes (make sure the valve is set to sealing then select Manual and then dial up to 22).
- Meanwhile crushed the tortilla chips and mix with a tablespoon or so of melted butter for the topping.
- Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes and then quick release the rest of the pressure. Remove the chicken breasts and shred into bite-sized pieces. Fluff the rice with a fork and mix in the sour cream, cheddar cheese and hot sauce. Gently stir in the chicken and broccoli.
- Serve topped with the crushed tortilla chips. Enjoy!
This post contains Amazon affiliate links to my favorite products.