Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli and Cheddar Rice! Tastes like a delicious chicken, broccoli and rice casserole – but in half the time!
A few months ago my husband and I got on an instant pot kick that started because we fell in love with this recipe for Instant Pot Southwestern Chicken and Rice.
It is such an easy, tasty, all-in-one dinner that we make at least twice a month.
For awhile I’ve been wanting to try a chicken, broccoli and cheddar version. This one is just as delicious and definitely doesn’t disappoint!
My latest instant pot discovery is that you can perfectly cook broccoli in 0 minutes at high pressure.
I like to use this steamer basket that fits nicely inside my instant pot. The broccoli cooks while the instant pot comes up to pressure – then you quick release the pressure and it’s done.
Perfect broccoli every time!
At first I tried this recipe cooking the broccoli with the brown rice and chicken but it turned to mush.
Because the brown rice needs a long cook time I leave the chicken breasts whole and nestle them down into the liquid for cooking. The chicken turns moist and easy-to-shred while the rice gets all the way done. No crunchy rice in sight!
Chicken breast can definitely cook faster on it’s own – but the brown rice needs the full 22 minutes.
I like to fold in a little sour cream and sharp cheddar cheese into the rice when it’s done cooking.
I also like to top everything with a crushed tortilla chip/butter topping. It makes a naturally gluten-free topping and the end result tastes like a delicious chicken, broccoli and rice casserole – but in half the time!
Instant Pot Chicken Breasts from A Mind Full Mom
What should you make for DINNER TONIGHT?
Check out my Gluten-Free Tried-and-True Dinner Recipes!
Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken Broccoli and Rice
- 1 lb broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice, I like using this Sprouted Brown Rice best
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb chicken breast, about 2 small chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, optional
- crushed tortilla chips + melted butter
- Place a steamer basket in the bottom of the instant pot. (This also works with no steamer basket.) Add 1 cup of water and place the broccoli florets in the steamer basket. Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 0 minutes (select Manual or High pressure and then dial down to 0; the IP will start on it’s own and the broccoli will cook perfectly as it pressurizes). Immediately release the pressure and set the broccoli aside. Pour out the remaining water.
- Place the brown rice, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, soy sauce and chicken stock in the instant pot. Stir to combine.
- Nestle the chicken breasts (leave them whole so they won't get dry during cooking) down in the rice/liquid mixture.
- Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 22 minutes (make sure the valve is set to sealing then select Manual and then dial up to 22).
- Meanwhile crushed the tortilla chips and mix with a tablespoon or so of melted butter for the topping.
- Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes and then quick release the rest of the pressure. Remove the chicken breasts and shred into bite-sized pieces. Fluff the rice with a fork and mix in the sour cream, cheddar cheese and hot sauce. Gently stir in the chicken and broccoli.
- Serve topped with the crushed tortilla chips. Enjoy!
This post contains Amazon affiliate links to my favorite products.