This Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice dish tastes just like the casserole. Make this recipe tonight for a comfort food meal in just half the time!
Even if your weeknights are hectic, it’s still possible to have a delicious home-cooked meal.
Traditionally, each ingredient in this dish is prepared separately before being baked in a casserole dish. Not only does this take a lot of time and energy, but it can make the kitchen unpleasantly hot.
Instead, you can have this Instant Pot cheesy chicken and rice on the table in about half an hour. Plus, because everything is cooked in the same pot, you won’t have a pile of dishes to clean afterward!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken breasts – You’ll want to keep the amount of chicken to 1lb. So you many end up using just 1 chicken breast!
- Broccoli – Cut into florets
- Brown rice – Don’t swap in white rice here as the cook time isn’t the same.
- Chicken stock – Adds more flavor than water when cooking the rice.
- Soy sauce – Adds a little extra flavor to the dish!
- Topping – I use crushed tortilla chips and melted butter for the topping. It adds a little crunch. You could also use breadcrumbs.
How to Cut Broccoli
To save time, you can find bagged broccoli florets in the produce section of the grocery store. Otherwise, buy a fresh broccoli bunch and cut your own as follows:
- Rinse the broccoli well and gently shake out any excess water.
- Use a sharp knife to cut off the stem as close to the head as possible.
- Hold the broccoli head on a cutting board with the remaining stem facing up. Make downward cuts to remove the florets from the center stem.
- Slice larger florets partway through the stem and pull apart the rest of the way with your fingers so you don’t get buds everywhere.
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice
Steam the broccoli first, then cook the chicken and rice at the same time. After that, mix everything together and add some crunchy topping. It’s that simple!
- Cook the broccoli florets in the Instant Pot using a steamer basket insert. Set the cook time to 0 minutes so the florets can cook as it comes to pressure, then do an immediate Quick Release. Set the broccoli aside and empty the water from the pot liner.
- Prepare the crunchy topping and set aside (this can also be done while the chicken/rice cooks!).
- Add the rice, liquids, and spices to the Instant Pot and give it a quick stir. Place the whole chicken breasts in the pot, pushing them down into the rice mixture. Cook on High for 22 minutes with a 10 minute Natural Pressure Release. Then do a Quick Release, if needed, to remove the last of the pressure.
- Next, transfer the chicken to a plate. Shred with two forks into bite-sized pieces.
- Fluff the rice in the Instant Pot before mixing in the sour cream, shredded cheese, and hot sauce. Then add the broccoli and chicken to the pot.
- Stir everything together until well combined. Spoon into bowl and top with the crushed chip topping.
- Whole chicken breasts – It’s best to leave the breasts whole so they don’t dry out. If your chicken breasts are extra thick, however, go ahead and slice them lengthwise to make sure they cook all the way through.
- Frozen chicken – Because the brown rice needs so long to cook, fresh or frozen will work just fine. Make sure not to use more than 1 pound of frozen chicken.
- Shredded cheese – Always buy fresh and shred your own. Bagged shreds have a preservative that has an unpleasant waxy texture.
- Gluten-free – To make this recipe gluten-free, substitute the soy sauce for coconut aminos or gluten-free certified tamari.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! If you try this recipe please leave me a comment and star-rating below. I’d love to hear from you!
Instant Pot Chicken Broccoli Rice
- 1 lb broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice, I like using this Sprouted Brown Rice best
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb chicken breast, about 2 small chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, optional
- crushed tortilla chips + melted butter
- Place a steamer basket in the bottom of the instant pot. (This also works with no steamer basket.) Add 1 cup of water and place the broccoli florets in the steamer basket. Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 0 minutes (select Manual or High pressure and then dial down to 0; the IP will start on it’s own and the broccoli will cook perfectly as it pressurizes). Immediately release the pressure and set the broccoli aside. Pour out the remaining water.
- Place the brown rice, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, soy sauce and chicken stock in the instant pot. Stir to combine.
- Nestle the chicken breasts (leave them whole so they won’t get dry during cooking) down in the rice/liquid mixture.
- Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 22 minutes (make sure the valve is set to sealing then select Manual and then dial up to 22).
- Meanwhile crushed the tortilla chips and mix with a tablespoon or so of melted butter for the topping.
- Let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes and then quick release the rest of the pressure. Remove the chicken breasts and shred into bite-sized pieces. Fluff the rice with a fork and mix in the sour cream, cheddar cheese and hot sauce. Gently stir in the chicken and broccoli.
- Serve topped with the crushed tortilla chips. Enjoy!
This post was originally published on January 24, 2018. It was updated with step-by-step instructions on June 30, 2020.