Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup! An easy, weeknight dinner. Flavorful, comforting and healthy!
I’ve never met a soul who doesn’t love Chicken Tortilla Soup! It’s flavorful, comforting and healthy to boot.
If you’re like me and always on the hunt for easy, delicious and satisfying instant pot recipes, you’ll want to try this one! It’s the perfect thing to make on a busy weeknight.
This Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is adapted from my long-time favorite recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup. That recipe is one of the oldest on this blog – and still loved today!
The trick to this soup is adding some sliced corn tortillas in as it cooks. The corn tortillas thicken the soup slightly and give it a delicious flavor.
Making this Chicken Tortilla Soup in the Instant Pot speeds up the process making it a great weeknight dinner.
I know sometimes waiting for the Instant Pot to come to pressure then natural release makes Instant Pot Cook times misleading – but this one should be done in 30 minutes.
I also love the hands off approach of making dinner in the Instant Pot. Just set it and forget it! No worrying about stirring, adjusting heat or burning as it cooks.
My favorite thing about chicken tortilla soup is all the toppings! I’ve included some instructions in the recipe on how to make crispy tortilla strips.
They are really easy to make and way better than corn chips. They make the soup in my opinion! Just slice up some corn tortillas, toss them with avocado or olive oil and a sprinkle of salt then bake until crispy. They are definitely worth the effort.
I also like adding an extra squeeze of lime and avocado. If you can eat dairy some queso fresco or cheddar cheese is also delicious!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 cup chopped onions (1 onion)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
- 1 cups chopped carrots (2 carrots)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds/ribs removed and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 14oz canned crushed tomatoes (you may have to use 1/2 of a 28ounce can of crushed tomatoes)
- 6 (6-inch) white corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- juice of 1 lime
- Toppings: sliced avocado, sour cream, grated cheese, and tortilla chips
- Press the SAUTE button on the instant pot and let preheat for 1-2 minutes. Add the avocado oil, onion, celery, carrots and jalapeno. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables start to soften. Stir in the garlic, spices and salt.
- Add the chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, corn tortillas and chicken. Close the instant pot and press MANUAL (or high pressure) and set timer for 7 minutes. When the time is up let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes before releasing the rest of the steam.
- Take out the chicken breast and shred with a fork. Add back to the soup. Stir in the cilantro and lime juice. Serve with toppings of choice. Enjoy!
To Make Crispy Tortilla Strips: Preheat the oven to 350F. Cut white corn tortillas into strips. Toss with a little avocado oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 10 minutes until crispy. Use as a topping for the soup. Yum!
- Serving Size: 4