Instant Pot Sausage Lentil Stew! A cozy, hearty stew made easy in the instant pot. Full of flavor and so satisfying!
If you’re like me and always on the hunt for easy, delicious and satisfying instant pot recipes, you’ll want to try this one!
I love how hearty and cozy sausage lentil stew is and this recipe doesn’t disappoint. It is full of flavor and perfect for a cold night.
Just a note about lentils – they are often cross-contaminated with other gluten-containing grains. So be sure to carefully rinse and pick over lentils before cooking with them.
This summer we went to my brother’s wedding in Pullman, Washington. The whole town is surround by lentil and grain friends. It definitely made me understand why lentils are contaminated. They grow right alongside each other!
My recommendation is to buy French green lentils (Trader Joe’s also carries them!). They are cleaner and usually not contaminated with gluten-containing grains like brown lentils.
I like to add some chopped kale to this stew when it’s finished cooking for some greens. Sausage and kale go so well together in stews – even people who aren’t crazy about kale will like it.
You can top this is so parmesan cheese or leave it off like I do to keep things dairy-free. My husband likes to top his with hot sauce. He basically tops everything with hot sauce – but lentil stew does taste delicious with a little kick!
This recipe makes a big batch of stew which is great because the leftovers are delicious. Add it to your weeknight instant pot dinner rotation!
This recipe makes a larger batch but the leftovers are delicious! Lentils are frequently cross-contaminated with other grains. Be sure to rinse and pick through the lentils before adding them to the soup. I like to use small green French lentils because they are usually very clean.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1lb Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 14.5oz cans diced tomatoes
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups dry lentils, rinsed and picked over (preferably French Green Lentils)
- 1 cup finely chopped kale (optional)
- Press the SAUTE button on the instant pot and let preheat for 1-2 minutes. Add the olive oil and Italian sausage. Cook, breaking into small pieces with a spoon, until no longer pink.
- Add the onion, celery and carrot. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables start to soften. Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and salt.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chicken stock, and lentils. Stir to combine.
- Close the instant pot and press MANUAL and set timer for 10 minutes. When the time is up let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release the rest of the steam.
- Stir in the chopped kale. Serve topped with parmesan cheese if desired. Enjoy!