This carrot ginger soup is smooth, creamy and so easy to make! With fresh ginger and roasted carrots, it’s full of flavor. It’s sure to become one of your favorite soups!
If you’re looking for simple recipes for weeknight meals, you’re in luck. Check out this post for tips and tricks to make this healthy soup at home.
This soup is one of my absolutel favorites, and once you make it, you’ll see why. It has great depth of flavor and comes together in minutes. It’s full of beta carotene and other nutrients and minerals, too.
You can even roast the carrots for an extra boost of flavor. It’s a great way to get kids to eat their vegetables.
Really, it’s the only carrot soup recipe you’ll ever need!
Soups like this one can easily be the main dish for a great lunch or dinner. Add a side salad or some French bread and you have a complete meal.
Since this carrot soup reheats well, I like to make a big batch for meal prep throughout the week!
Why You’ll Love this Soup
- Easy to make
- Made with pantry staples
- Healthy weeknight meal
- Reheats well
- Creamy and smooth
Ingredients You’ll Need
This creamy pureed soup recipe is loaded with fresh and healthy ingredients, most of which you would normally have in your pantry and refrigerator already!
- Carrots: Fresh carrots are definitely best for this recipe! Large carrots have better flavor than baby carrots.
- Onion: Onion is an essential aromatic that adds great flavor to this soup.
- Garlic: I prefer to use fresh garlic gloves for this recipe, but jarred garlic or garlic powder will work if you’re in a pinch.
- Ginger: You can use fresh ginger root or frozen ginger cubes for this soup.
- Vegetable or chicken stock: Vegetable or chicken stock will make a more flavorful soup than plain water.
- Thyme: Be sure to use fresh herbs for this soup!
- Olive oil: Olive oil is an important fat that adds another layer of flavor to the soup.
How to Make Carrot Ginger Soup
- Toss carrots in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast until fork tender.
- Saute chopped onion over medium heat in a soup pot. Add garlic cloves and ginger and cook until fragrant.
- Boil vegetable or chicken broth with thyme, carrots, fresh garlic and ginger until carrots are fully tender.
- Puree the hot liquid and ingredients in blender (or by using an immersion blender/hand blender) until smooth.
- Season the creamy carrot soup with salt and pepper.
- To store in fridge: This soup can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 to 4 days. If you need to store it for longer, I would suggest freezing it.
- To freeze: Before freezing, let the hot soup cool completely. Once cool, transfer the soup into individual-serving or family-serving sized freezer-safe containers and freeze. If you are using freezer safe bags, lay them flat and freeze until solid.
- To reheat: Thaw and then reheat the creamy carrot ginger soup on the stove top or in the microwave.
This simple carrot ginger soup recipe is made with simple ingredients like carrots, sweet onion, garlic, ginger, chicken or vegetable stock, and spices.
Ginger and garlic are both healthy ingredients that add great flavor to carrot soup. In comparison to ginger, garlic is higher in minerals like iron, copper, calcium, and zinc. However, ginger is higher in magnesium and lower in sodium than garlic.
No, you definitely don’t need to peel carrots for soup. In fact, there are many nutritional benefits in the skin of the carrots, so you may prefer to keep the skin on. However, if you want the smoothest possible soup texture, it’s best to peel the carrots.
Expert Tips & Tricks
- Roast the veggies: One of the best ways to get the most flavor out of vegetables is to roast them. Roasting carrots is easy. Simple cut them into even chunks, toss with olive oil and salt, then roast. You’ll get so much more flavor from roasting the carrots rather than simply boiling them.
- Use flavorful stock: Another tip for flavorful soup is to use chicken stock in place of water for the liquid. You can use vegetable stock to make this a vegan carrot ginger soup recipe.
- Side dish ideas: You can enjoy this healthy soup recipe with almost any meal, but it pairs especially well with a crisp, healthy salad, like this Kale Salad with Cranberries, and with a nice, bread, like these Gluten-Free Crusty Rolls.
More Soup Recipes
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you try this carrot soup, be sure to leave me a comment/rating below. I’d love to hear from you!
Carrot Ginger Soup
- 2 lbs carrots chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 large sweet onion chopped, (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger peeled and grated
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock (plus more to thin if needed)
- 4 sprigs thyme leaves removed from stem
- Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Toss the chopped carrots with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, about 1/2 teaspoon each. Roast the carrots for 25-30 minutes, until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute for 4-5 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the stock, thyme and carrots and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for about 20 minutes, until the vegetables are fully tender.
- Puree the soup in blender (be careful while blending!) or with an immersion blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!