Instant Pot Turkey Meatballs and Yellow Rice! Tender skillet meatballs cook together with a flavorful yellow rice. Quick, easy and sure to be an instant favorite!
Do you have a favorite go-to recipe that you make in the instant pot? I am SO excited to share this recipe with you because it has become one of my VERY favorite instant pot meals!
There are a lot of instant pot recipes out there – but only a few really special ones. This Instant Pot Southwestern Chicken and Rice has been a long-time favorite (dozens of you agree!) at my house. This Instant Pot Turkey Vegetable Lasagna Soup is also crazy flavorful and always a hit.
This Instant Pot Turkey Meatballs and Yellow Rice recipe is now up in my instant pot hall of fame. It is quick and easy, but full of flavor and SO delicious!
You might also like these best ever gluten-free meatballs!
How to Make Meatballs in the Instant Pot
I especially love instant pot recipes where the protein and side all cook together. The turkey meatballs are cooked alongside a flavorful, homemade yellow rice making this a complete one-pot meal.
I love the saute function on the instant pot – such a game changer! In this recipe the turkey meatballs are browned to perfection which adds so much flavor. My kids love meatballs of any kind and this meal is one of their favorites.
Growing up my Mom would always make “yellow rice” from a box. As a kid I loved the savory flavor and color of that rice, but these days I don’t love the MSG and artificial ingredients in the flavor packet. This rice gets its yellow color from turmeric.
After the rice cooks, it is tossed with parmesan cheese, parsley and toasted almonds which really takes everything to the next level.
Tips for Making Instant Pot Turkey Meatballs and Rice
– As you cook the meatballs you may need to swirl the instant pot around to get the olive oil under each meatball.
– You may want to turn the instant pot OFF for a little (then back on again) if it gets too hot. I usually do this one or two times when making the meatballs so nothing burns on the bottom of the instant pot.
– A small, flexible spatula (one of my favorite kitchen tools!) works best to flip the meatballs to brown on all sides.
– Don’t be alarmed at the rice-to-water ratio! Instant pot rice recipes typically need a rice-to-water ratio closer to 1:1 which is different than stove-top recipes.
Instant Pot Turkey Meatballs and Yellow Rice
For the Meatballs:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons gluten-free panko
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil + more olive oil for cooking the meatballs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
For the Rice:
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley minced
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds toast at 350F for 6-8 minutes until golden
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients for the meatballs. Mix to evenly combine. Roll into about 16 meatballs (about 1-2 inches in diameter)
- Press the SAUTE button on the instant pot. Let the instant heat up slightly, then add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the meatballs (you may have to cook them in 2 batches) and let cook until brown on one side. As you cook the meatballs you may need to swirl the instant pot around to get the olive oil under each meatball. You may also want to turn the instant pot OFF for a little (then back on again) if it gets too hot. Using a small spatula flip the meatballs to brown on another side 1-2 minutes. Continue until the meatballs are browned on all sides. (They don't need to be cooked through - just browned.) Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining meatballs if needed.
- Turn the instant pot off for a moment if it's too hot. Press the SAUTE button again and add the rice and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes then add the chicken stock and lemon juice. Scrape the bottom of the pan to pull up any brown bits. Add the salt and turmeric and stir to combine. Add the meatballs back to the pot.
- Close the instant pot with the lid and press MANUAL or high pressure and set the timer for 4 minutes. Once the time is up allow the instant pot to natural release for 10 minutes. Release the rest of the pressure manually.
- Remove the meatballs from the rice and transfer to a serving plate. Add the parmesan cheese, parsley and toasted almonds. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve with the meatballs. Enjoy!