This easy banana date smoothie is creamy and perfect for your adding your favorite smoothie mix-ins! It makes a delicious, healthy treat any time of day!
Everyone loves smoothies, especially when they’re more than just a glass of frozen, sugary ingredients. They make the perfect grab ‘n go breakfast on a busy day, and they cool you down on a hot day.
And that’s exactly what this naturally sweet breakfast drink is. Plus, this healthy date smoothie is so easy to make.
Just add a few simple ingredients for this banana date smoothie recipe to a blender, swirl it up, and enjoy!
It makes a delicious healthy breakfast, and is also a great stand-in for ice cream if you have a sweet tooth.
You can make this delicious smoothie for an afternoon snack, or add protein powder or greek yogurt for a post-workout snack. It makes a
Table of Contents
Ingredients You’ll Need
Several tasty ingredients come together to make this quick breakfast drink.
- Almond Milk — Be sure to look for unsweetened almond milk. As a result, you can control the sweetness in your drink. This is because many commercial brands of sweetened almond milk have the addition of cane sugar. You can use any dairy or non-dairy milk you like. I also like to use oat milk! (Check out this article on is oat milk gluten-free?)
- Frozen Banana — Adding frozen bananas is a great way to achieve a thicker consistency to your banana date smoothie. Freeze ripe bananas ahead of time by peeling them and popping them into the freezer in sealable bags or bowls.
- Walnuts — The addition of ground walnuts makes the smoothie creamier, while adding healthy fats and protein, too!
- Flax Seed Meal — Flax seeds will add a little bit of protein and fiber to the drink. Plus, they thicken when mixed with liquids. As a result, it holds the smoothie together instead of letting it get really watery.
- Dates — Dates are a great natural sweetener. Using these instead of sugar will give your banana date smoothie a delicious, natural sweetness without added sugar.
- Ice — Ice cubes is here for two reasons: to make the banana date smoothie thicker, and to help keep you hydrated. The more ice you add, the thicker the drink will become.
How to Make a Banana Date Smoothie
- Place all of the ingredients into a high speed blender and process until smooth.
- Pour into a glass, and enjoy!
You can place all ingredients (except the almond milk) in a smoothie cup and store it in the freezer in advance. When you’re ready to drink your smoothie, pour everything into the blender, add the almond milk, and blend!
There are plenty of alternatives to the ingredients I use in this banana smoothie recipe. For example, you can swap out walnuts and use peanuts or cashews instead. If all you have on hand is dairy milk, go ahead and use it!
For a bit of chocolate flavor, add a few mini chocolate chips. Or, just make this chocolate banana smoothie!
Here are some other additions that would taste great in this smoothie:
- Almond butter, peanut butter, or any nut butters – we especially love to make a banana peanut butter smoothie!
- Chia seeds
- Hemp seeds
- Protein powder
- Cocoa powder
If you aren’t a fan of bananas, this might not be the perfect smoothie for you. But, you can definitely make a different smoothie recipe instead!
simple banana date smoothie
A few of my favorite smoothie recipes include:
- Cherry Smoothie Recipe
- Mango Avocado Smoothie
- Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
- Strawberry Banana Spinach Smoothie
You also might like this post on how to freeze bananas for smoothies.
Yes, Medjool dates are a great addition to a smoothie. They add sweetness, fiber, and potassium!
It’s usually best to put 2-4 dates in your smoothie. Add more for added sweetness, or less for less sweetness.
Yes, it’s okay to put dates in a blender. They make a great addition to a smoothie and are a perfect natural sweetener! If you turn the blender on high, the dates will smoothly blend into the drink.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- It’s helpful if you place the ice in first. This way, the blades are likely to crush the ice before it combines the rest of the ingredients.
- To change the consistency of your banana date shake, add more ice to thicken it and blend again. Or, to thin it, stir or blend in more almond milk until your desired thickness is reached.
More Smoothie Recipes
I hope you love this simple banana date smoothie as much as we do! If you try this smoothie, be sure to leave me a comment/rating below. I’d love to hear from you!
Banana Date Smoothie
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup ice
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2-4 dates depending on desired sweetness
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- Place all the ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Enjoy!