A comforting beef stew cooked until it’s fall-apart tender in a flavorful red wine sauce! Perfect for serving over gluten-free spaetzle noodles.
I recently gave in to a killer Amazon black friday deal and bought an instant pot! I had been on the fence about getting one for a few months and decided to go for it. I’m so glad I did! I’ve been making things it all month and it’s amazing.
This Instant Pot Beef Burgundy is the perfect dish to go with the Gluten-Free Spaetzle Noodles I posted earlier this week! It is one of our favorite holiday or special occasion meals.
This is my Dad’s recipe from beef burgundy which he makes in the slow cooker, adapted for the instant pot. It only takes 40 minutes to cook in the instant pot compared to the 6-8 hours it takes in the slow-cooker. I also love that you can still use the slow-cooker option on the instant pot if you want the longer cook time (like if you’re making it earlier in the day). It’s great to have both options!
Beef Burgundy is basically beef stew cooked until it’s fall-apart tender in a flavorful red wine sauce. It is divine! We love adding carrots because they get nice and tender and soak up all the flavors. Spaetzle is the perfect thing to soak up all the yummy sauce.
If you haven’t picked a Christmas dinner yet, try this one. It’s a crowd-pleaser and so delicious!
More Gluten-Free Instant Pot Recipes:
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt & pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup beef stock + 1 tablespoon gluten-free flour (whisked together)
- 1 teaspoon fresh (or 1/2 teaspoon dried) thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- Press the saute key on the instant pot. Wait for the pot to say "HOT" before beginning cooking.
- Spread the beef out in a single layer on a cutting board. Season the beef with salt and pepper. Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons gluten-free flour over the beef and toss to evenly coat on all sides. Shake off the excess.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the hot instant pot. Spread around then add the beef in a single layer (you may have to do this in 2 batches). Cook on one side until brown, about 4-5 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes. (If the fond on the bottom of the pan starts to look like it's burning, add a little wine to deglaze so it doesn't burn - but ideally you want to wait to add the wine until everything is brown.)
- Remove the beef from the instant pot and set aside. Add the onion (and another tablespoon of olive oil if needed) to the instant pot and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to remove the brown bits. Let cook for about 5 minutes until reduced.
- Add the tomato paste and stir to combine. Add the remaining ingredients as well as 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Place the lid on the instant pot. Press the MEAT/STEW button and set the time to 40 minutes. After cooking is complete let sit for 10 minutes, then vent the pressure to open the pot.
- Season to taste and serve. Enjoy!