Rice pudding is something I love, but seldom think to make. This recipe is definitely going to change that!
This pumpkin rice pudding is rich, creamy, and sweetly spiced. It is so creamy from the coconut milk, yet doesn’t taste at all like coconut. You would never guess it is dairy-free. I have recently fallen in love with sweet brown rice. It is slightly sweet and delightfully sticky, perfect for desserts!
Rice pudding is an excellent, gluten-free choice for fall entertaining because it can be served warm or cold and made in advance. I love recipes like that! You can also make a very large batch of it to feed a crowd.
There is something so comforting about a bowl of warm rice pudding. I equally love it chilled, right out of the refrigerator topped with coconut milk whipped cream.
My toddler and I enjoyed a leftover bowl of this for breakfast the day after we made it. We just couldn’t resist! With whole grain brown rice, pumpkin, and no refined-sugar I suppose there are worse things you could have for breakfast.
This is also a very portable dish, making perfect to bring to a Halloween get-together for friends with food allergies. I’m sure we will be making this many times this fall!Print
- 1 1/2 cups sweet brown rice
- 4 cups canned coconut milk
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- Combine the rice, coconut milk, almond milk, sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Heat on high until the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 45 minutes without disturbing.
- After 45 minutes, stir the mixture and continue cooking on low. Cook, stirring every 5 minutes or so until the pudding becomes thick and very creamy, about 25 more minutes. Towards the end you may have to stir more frequently and scrape the bottom to prevent it from burning.
- When the pudding reaches the consistency you like remove it from the heat and test the rice for doneness, just to be sure. Stir in the vanilla and pumpkin. Serve warm or chilled. Enjoy!