These healthy and wholesome buckwheat muffins make a delicious start to your morning! Full of apple, carrot, walnuts and raisins, they are full of goodness.
If you’re looking for a truly healthy muffin to start your morning, you’re in the right place! These buckwheat muffins are naturally gluten-free, refined-sugar-free and are full of goodness to start your day.
Why You’ll Love These Buckwheat Muffins
- Wholesome and healthy
- Gluten-free & dairy-free
- Full of shredded carrots, apples and raisins
- Naturally sweetened
- A delicious make-ahead, on-the-go breakfast!
Ingredients for Buckwheat Muffins
- Buckwheat Flour: My preference is to use freshly ground buckwheat flour. I do this by grinding raw buckwheat groats into flour in my blender. You can also use regular buckwheat flour.
- Almond Flour/Arrowroot Powder: Add lightness and a nice texture along with the buckwheat flour.
- Coconut Sugar/Maple Syrup: A combination of these 2 natural sweeteners works great in this recipe.
- Shredded Apple and Carrot: Adds some healthy goodness and moisture to these muffins.
- Walnuts and Raisins: For texture and flavor!
How to Make Buckwheat Muffins
Making buckwheat muffins is easy! You’ll start by mixing together the wet and dry ingredients separately.
I like to use a large glass measuring cup for the wet and a medium glass mixing bowl for the dry.
Next, you’ll add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix to combine. Stir in the walnuts/raisins when the batter is almost mixed and fold in until no dry streaks remain.
Scoop the batter into a lined muffin pan. Then bake until fluffy and set!
Can I freeze these muffins?
Yes! These buckwheat muffins freeze great so I always like to make a double batch. I recommend letting the muffins cool completely then transferring to a resealable bag for storage.
To reheat: Wrap a frozen muffin in a paper towel and microwave for 15-20 seconds.
More Muffin Recipes
If you love this recipe as much as we do leave me a comment/rating below. I’d also be happy to help with any questions. Happy Baking!
Buckwheat Muffins (Morning Glory)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup molasses, or maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup grated apple
- 1/2 cup raisins, soaked in orange juice or water for 15 minutes (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners or spray generously with cooking spray.
- Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another bowl. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until no dry streaks remain. Fill each muffin cup 3/4 the way full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of each muffin comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
- There muffins freeze very well. To defrost on-the-go, just wrap a muffin in a paper towel and microwave for 20 seconds or so.
This buckwheat muffin post was originally published in February 2015. It was updated with new pictures in July 2020.