Thanksgiving. Christmas. Easter. Summer BBQs. This Holiday Fruit Salad is the perfect special occasion side for them all! Creamy, fluffy and crowd-pleasing!
This post was created in partnership with Dole Packaged Foods.
To me Thanksgiving is all about the sides and the side line-up wouldn’t be complete without a creamy, fruit salad. This Holiday Fruit Salad is my favorite combination – with sweet chunks of pineapple, mandarin oranges, cherries, grapes and bananas.
What makes this “salad” especially special is the addition of marshmallows that get soft and sponge-like as the salad sits overnight. Marshmallows at the dinner table only happen a few times a year around here. But I never complain when they do!
This salad is made with an easy pineapple custard and whipped cream. I use Dole Canned Pineapple Chunks and reserve the juice from the can to make the custard. The pineapple custard and whipped cream are then folded into the fruit. Using Dole Pineapple Chunks and Dole Mandarin Oranges make this salad really easy to throw together!
The salad is refrigerated overnight so all the flavors meld and the marshmallows soften. Just before serving I like to add fresh banana.
My son declared this his favorite “salad” ever. While it is definitely more a of a treat than an actual salad, it makes any holiday dinner special.
It is a crowd-pleaser and always one of the first dishes to go at any get-together!
- 3 tablespoons pineapple juice (from the can of Dole Pineapple Chunks)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 20oz can Dole Pineapple Chunks
- 1 cup jarred cherries, drained
- 1 15oz can Dole Mandarin Oranges
- 1 cup grapes
- 2 cups marshmallows, halved
- 1 cup whipped cream, beat into firm peaks
- 2 bananas, sliced
- In the bowl of a double boiler, combine the pineapple juice, lemon juice, sugar, egg yolks, cornstarch and butter.
- Set over a double boiler and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon. This usually takes 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool before adding to the fruit salad.
- Combine all the ingredients except the whipped cream and bananas. Fold in the cooled pineapple custard and whipped cream.
- Refrigerate overnight. Add the sliced bananas just before serving. Enjoy!