I made a version of this pie last year for Christmas Eve dessert and OH MY! Even amongst the sugar cookies, candy and fudge at Christmas time, this dessert stood out as a one of the best things I’d eaten during the holidays.
If you’re searching for the perfect dairy-free, gluten-free holiday dessert – this is it!
This chocolate pudding pretzel pie is perfect for Thanksgiving or any time you want to make a special dessert for someone with food allergies. I love this pie so much I would have it for my birthday instead of cake!
This pie is also great because it is made with easy-to-find ingredients and has one of the simplest crusts around. Think as easy as graham cracker crust, but with salty pretzels. I love the sweet and salty combination going on in this pie!
I originally made this with a chocolate pudding made with milk. However, I can’t eat very much dairy (and feel best when I don’t eat it at all) so it was time to find a real-deal vegan chocolate pudding. I’m happy to report this vegan chocolate pudding tastes just like the real thing!
This vegan chocolate pudding doesn’t have any avocado, banana or tofu like other vegan chocolate puddings, but rather is made on the stove with milk, cornstarch (or arrowroot), and sugar just like traditional pudding. I could eat it in a bowl topped with my favorite So Delicious Dairy-Free Cocowhip all on it’s own.
What are your favorite pies to make for Thanksgiving? I hope you and your dairy-free guests love this pie as much as we do!
For the Crust:
- 5 1/2 ounces (about 3 1/2 cups) gluten-free pretzels (crush slightly to fit in the measuring cup if measuring instead of weighing)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
For the Chocolate Pudding:
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 (13.5oz) canned (not boxed) coconut milk
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons vegan butter (optional)
For the Ganache:
- 3 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate bar or 1/3 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- One container So Delicious CocoWhip
- chocolate curls or cocoa powder for garnish
Make the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Place the pretzels in a ziploc and crush into very small pieces. Pour into a bowl and add the brown sugar and vegan butter. Stir to combine.
- Pour into the prepared pan and press into an even layer. Bake for 10-12 minutes until toasted. Let cool for 15-20 minutes before filling.
Make the pudding:
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk together the cocoa powder, cornstarch, cane sugar and pinch of salt. Over medium heat while whisking, add the coconut milk and almond milk. Whisk until totally smooth.
- Continue to whisk until the mixture comes to a gentle boil. One the mixture bubbles continue to whisk and cook for another 2 minutes until thick. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips, vanilla, and vegan butter (if using). Pour into a bowl and let cool to just about room temperature, stirring often.
For the ganache:
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together in the microwave at 50% power for 30-45 seconds, stopping to stir every 15 seconds. Stir until totally smooth. Pour and spread over the bottom of the prepared crust. Let set slightly before adding the pudding.
- Pour the pudding into the crust. Smooth, then refrigerate until set, about 2 hour or up to 12 hours.
- For the topping, place the CocoWhip in a bowl and use a hand mixer to whip until smooth, about 10-20 seconds. Spread over the pie and garnish with chocolate curls. Serve and enjoy!
MAKE-IT NUT-FREE: Use boxed coconut milk in place of the almond milk. (Do not use boxed coconut milk in place of the canned coconut milk.)
This post contains affiliate links to my favorite products.
This Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Pie from Gluten-Free on Shoestring also looks delicious!
This No-Bake Dirt Pie from Cotter Crunch is also Vegan and Gluten-Free and looks fabulous.