Sweet corn soup! An easy, TRIED-AND-TRUE corn soup recipe made with simple ingredients. This soup can be made with either fresh or frozen corn. Delicious topped with hot sauce, lime juice and a pad of butter!
If you’re wondering how to make corn soup that’s easy and delicious, you’re in the right place. This corn soup recipe has all of the tips and tricks you need to make a satisfying soup made from simple ingredients.
This soup has been a staple recipe at our house for years! My Mom used to make it growing up and it’s one of the recipes she wrote down for me in a little green recipe notebook when I left for college. (This beef stir-fry recipe is also from that book!)
I made this soup for my roommates a few times in college and they all still love it too!
Sweet corn soup is one of those meals that can be made all year round. It tastes amazing when made with fresh summer corn, but it’s also great when made with frozen corn. (Ps this summer corn salad is another favorite fresh corn recipe.) My kids this soup or tomato soup in the summer, and my butternut leek soup in the fall.
No matter when you choose to make this creamy soup, you’ll love that it’s a crowd-pleaser and a healthy, easy recipe!
Why You’ll Love This Corn Soup Recipe
- Made with healthy, simple ingredients
- Comes together quickly
- Creamy (without adding cream)
- Great for any time of year
Sweet Corn Soup Ingredients
Here are some of the ingredients that make this sweet corn vegetable soup really shine!
- Corn: Fresh corn or frozen corn will work for this recipe. I used frozen, organic sweet corn kernels in the winter and fresh corn cobs in the summer.
- Chicken Stock: This is a simple, delicious soup recipe, meaning every ingredient counts! Choose a flavorful, high-quality chicken stock. I use organic chicken stock from Costco. (You could even make your own stock from a rotisserie chicken carcass or chicken breast.) If you want to make the recipe vegan, you could substitute with vegetable stock.
- Potato: Adding one potato to this corn soup recipe will add thickness without the need for corn starch.
- Fresh herbs: I like adding fresh thyme or parsley to enhance the flavor of this sweet corn soup. You could also top the soup with green onions or spring onions and black pepper for added flavor.
How to Make Corn Soup
This soup is easy to make and has simple ingredients, but is still just as flavorful as a cream of corn soup, or a corn chowder made with heavy cream!
The trick with this soup is to add half of the corn in with the other vegetables while simmering the soup in a stock pot. Once you have a hot soup, blend everything together to make a creamy consistency. Finally, add the rest of the corn in into the large pot of blended soup to add some texture.
- Saute the onion, carrot and potato in a little olive oil over medium heat, until the onions start to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or so until fragrant.
- Stir in half the corn as well as the salt, pepper and chicken stock.
- Simmer on medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are fully softened.
- Blend (you can use a regular blender or an immersion blender) until smooth.
- Add in the rest of the corn and the thyme.
To store: Place cooled sweet corn soup in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to one week.
To freeze: Place cooled soup in an airtight container and store in the freezer for several months. When you’re ready to eat a bowl of soup, let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Then reheat in the microwave or on medium-high heat over the stove.
Sweet corn soup is made with natural, whole foods. It’s also full of good carbs that provide energy, as well as digestive fiber.
Corn soup is made with onions, potato, carrots, sweet corn, and chicken stock, along with herbs and spices.
If you’re using fresh corn for your soup, place the corn cob over a bowl and carefully remove the kernels using a sharp knife. Repeat with each ear of corn.
Expert Tips for Delicious Corn Soup
- Add half the corn while the other vegetables are simmering and the other half after the soup after blending the soup.
- Use a flavorful chicken stock or vegetable broth. I use the Organic Chicken Stock from Costco.
- Either fresh or frozen corn will work in this recipe. I actually prefer it with organic frozen white corn—it’s just so easy and still makes for a delicious sweet corn soup!
- A little fresh thyme or parsley give this soup great fresh flavor.
- Serve topped with hot sauce, lime juice and a pad of butter to take this soup to the next level!
- You can make this recipe in an Instant pot, too!
- The best way to make this flavorful soup more creamy is by using one red-skin or Yukon Gold potato.
- Add a bit of melted butter, hot sauce or chili sauce, and a squeeze of lime to the top of this comforting corn soup!
More Amazing Soup Recipes!
I hope you enjoy this soup as much as we do! If you try this corn soup recipe, be sure to leave a comment/rating below. I’d love to hear from you!
Sweet Corn Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red-skinned potato peeled and chopped (2/3 cup)
- 1 small carrot chopped (1/3 cup)
- 1 small onion chopped (1/3 cup)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 6 cups corn fresh or frozen (I use frozen organic white corn)
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh parsley or thyme
- 2 limes
- hot sauce or butter
- Heat a medium/large pot over medium heat. Add the olive oil along with the potato, carrot and onion. Cook until the onion is tender, about 6-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour the in the chicken stock and stir. Add salt and pepper – about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon each depending on saltiness of your stock. Bring to a boil then cover and reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of the corn and cook, covered, for 10-15 minutes until vegetables are tender. Transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Alternatively you can use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the pot. Add the remaining 3 cups corn, parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a squeeze of lime and butter/hot sauce. Enjoy!