Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole! An easy, gluten-free, make-ahead breakfast everyone will love!
This Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole is a total crowd-pleaser! It’s full of flavorful sausage and veggies and makes a great make-ahead breakfast. There are so many times when it’s helpful to have an easy, make-ahead breakfast.
I’m always on the hunt for recipes like this for Christmas morning or when we have company in town. It’s so convenient to assemble everything the night before, keep it in the fridge then bake it off in the morning. Nobody wants to be sautéing sausage and creating dirty dishes on Christmas morning!
I love having a savory breakfast option to go along with something sweet. When we make cinnamon rolls or monkey bread for a special breakfast I always like to serve this egg casserole alongside.
The older I get the more I need protein with breakfast – especially when we’re having a sweet treat! (PS try these gluten-free donuts for a breakfast treat!)
How to Make Gluten-Free Breakfast Casserole
The first step to making delicious breakfast casserole is to cook the sausage and vegetables. The onions and peppers in this casserole won’t cook anymore once they are mixed into the the casserole – so I like to get them nice and soft while I brown the sausage.
After the veggies have cooked, add the spinach and let it wilt for just a few minutes. I also love the pretty colors in this casserole with the the red pepper and spinach!
Many breakfast casseroles use soaked bread for texture – but I keep this breakfast casserole gluten-free by adding frozen hashbrowns. They make it hearty and give it a great consistency.
Sausage Breakfast Casserole
This breakfast casserole is also really easy to make dairy-free. I actually almost always make it dairy-free when I prepare this for my family. I use coconut milk in place of regular milk and vegan cheese in place of sharp cheddar to make this dairy-free. It tastes just as delicious and you’d never know it’s dairy-free with all the sausage and onions/peppers.
My favorite brand of dairy-free cheese is Follow My Heart. I always use half the amount of dairy-free cheese as regular cheese because I think a little goes a long way.
For another favorite recipe try these banana pancakes!
Also be sure to add a good amount of salt and pepper when you mix everything together so this casserole is flavorful once it’s cooked. Make it over the holidays or the next time you have a big group of people to feed on a busy morning!
Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb pork breakfast sausage
- ¾ cup red pepper, diced
- ¾ cup onion, diced
- 10 oz frozen hashbrowns, (2 cups )
- 1-2 cups spinach, finely chopped
- 10 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup whole milk, or coconut milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar, or ½ cup dairy-free cheese, plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, onion and red pepper. Break up sausage into small pieces and cook until the vegetables have softened and the sausage is no longer pink. Drain any excess grease.
- Add the spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl combine the remaining ingredients. Add the sausage mixture and mix until totally combined. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese. At this point you can either bake the casserole or refrigerate the casserole and bake the next day.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, uncovered until the eggs are set. Let cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!