An EASY method for making dairy-free chocolate fondue! Rich, DECADENT and perfect for dipping fruit and sweet treats.
We love serving this fondue with strawberries, bananas, marshmallows and gluten-free rice krispie treats. It’s a fun tradition my kids love that takes just minutes to make!
Need a savory option to go with your spread? Try this dairy-free spinach artichoke dip.
One of my family’s favorite Valentine’s Day traditions is chocolate fondue! We usually do it the weekend before Valentine’s Day and it’s a fun way to do something special with the kids.
My kids LOVE fondue night and totally look forward to it. We usually end up having it a few other times a year too because it’s such a favorite! What could be better than luxrious, decadent melted chocolate with all kinds of things to dip?
How to Make Dairy-Free Chocolate Fondue
1. Pick your chocolate base. You can use chocolate chips or chopped cup chocolate bars. If you use a chocolate bar just be sure to chop it finely so it melts evenly. Pour the chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl.
2. Add your liquid. The amount of liquid you add will vary based on what kind of chocolate you’re using. See the recipe below for the correct amounts! I like to use a mixture of heavy cream and milk for dark or semi-sweet chocolate. You can also easily make this chocolate fondue dairy-free with coconut and almond milk. We almost always make it dairy-free at our house!
Is chocolate dairy-free?
Chocolate is dairy-free as long as it contains no milk ingredients. You’ll want to avoid any chocolate that has milk powder, whey or another milk derivative added to it. Most dark chocolate is naturally dairy-free!
To make this dairy-free fondue you’ll need to select dairy-free chocolate. I use Enjoy Life, Guittard semi-sweet, or Nestle Simply Delicious chocolate chips for this recipe.
3. Microwave on 50% power for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. It’s very important to use 50% heat here so you don’t heat the chocolate too quickly.
Stirring every 30 seconds will also ensure you get glossy, smooth chocolate fondue. At first it will seem like your stirring isn’t doing anything – but it will get there!
4. Stop heating with the chocolate is totally smooth and melted. You may need to add a touch more cream (or liquid) to get just the right consistency. The thickness can vary based on what kind of chocolate you use.
The perfect thickness is when the chocolate clings to a dipped banana, but isn’t totally thick. If the fondue is too runny simply add more chocolate and continue melting. Not too runny, not too thick. It’s more of an art than a science!
Tip: You may need to add a touch more liquid to get just the right consistency. If the fondue is too runny simply add more chocolate and continue melting.
What to Dip
Now on to the fun part! What to dip? The options are endless! This is why my family loves fondue night.
Here are some fondue spread ideas:
- crispy rice treats
- pound cake
- angel food cake (try this recipe!)
If you’re serving loved ones with food allergies a chocolate fondue spread can easily be made allergy-friendly. We always make ours gluten-free with naturally gluten-free things like strawberries and bananas as well as gluten-free cookies and gluten-free rice krispies treats!
More Gluten-Free Chocolate Desserts:
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Coconut Cloud Cookies
- Vegan Chocolate Pie
- Flourless Chocolate Cookies
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
Dairy-Free Chocolate Fondue
- 9 oz dairy-free chocolate, see note below
- ⅓ cup canned full-fat coconut milk
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Things to Dip:
- mini GF crispy rice treats
- marshmallows, vegan if needed
- GF pretzels
- Place the chocolate and liquids (besides vanilla) in a bowl. Microwave on 50% power for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until smooth and melted.
- Adjust consistency with more liquid if needed. Add vanilla and stir to incorporate. Enjoy!
- In saucepan, combine the chocolate, coconut milk, almond milk and vanilla. Heat on low, stirring often, until the chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth. Keep the heat on low the entire time.
- If needed, stir in a little more almond or coconut milk for a thinner consistency. Transfer the fondue to a fondue pot or small slow cooker for serving.
- Serve with treats/dippers of choice. Enjoy!