EASY, Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate! Made with almond milk, coconut milk, cocoa powder and dairy-free chocolate chips. This almond milk hot chocolate is creamy, thick and delicious. It will warm you right up!
Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate
There’s nothing better than curling up with a delicious mug of hot chocolate! This dairy-free hot chocolate is rich, creamy and so easy to make. I often double or triple the recipe to feed a crowd and everyone always asks for the recipe. It’s so decadent, they are always surprised to find out it’s dairy-free!
You can customize this hot chocolate to your tastes. I love adding a little bit of peppermint extract to make peppermint hot chocolate. You can also add more or less sweetener depending on what you like.
This Hot Chocolate Recipe is:
- Easy & Creamy!
Does Hot Chocolate contain Dairy?
Hot chocolate usually contains dairy as it is most often made with milk. However, there are many great non-dairy milk options available to easily make hot chocolate dairy-free. I like to use a combination of almond milk and coconut milk in this recipe.
Ingredients for Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate
For this hot chocolate you need just a few pantry staples. I love this recipe because I almost always have everything on hand to make it.
- Almond milk
- Coconut milk
- Dairy-free chocolate chips
- Cocoa powder
- Sugar (or maple syrup)
- Vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
For the almond milk, I prefer to use unsweetened almond milk so I can control the amount of sweetness. For the coconut milk regular or light canned will work great. I prefer to use canned (rather than boxed) coconut milk because it makes the hot chocolate extra creamy. Be sure to use dairy-free chocolate chips like the brand Enjoy Life Foods or Tollhouse Simply Delicious.
How to Make Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate
Making this almond milk hot chocolate is almost as simple as opening a premixed hot chocolate packet and mixing it with milk. But it’s 100% more delicious! All you do is:
- Combine all the ingredients in a pot. Whisk until smooth.
- Heat (whisking often) until the chocolate is melted and the hot chocolate is a temperature you like.
- Serve and enjoy!
I like to top this hot chocolate with marshmallows (also naturally dairy-free!) or coconut whipped cream. It always reminds me of the hot chocolate in the Polar Express in that it’s “rich as melted chocolate bars”.
I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine does! If you love this recipe leave me a comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
More Dairy-Free Treats:
Gluten-Free Banana Bread a long-time reader favorite!
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread perfect for the winter months
Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies vegan and kid-friendly
Dairy-Free Pumpkin Donuts tasty and totally dairy-free
Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk (regular or light)
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar (or maple syrup)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Add all the ingredients to a medium saucepan. Whisk to combine.
- Heat over medium-high and whisk until the chocolate chips are melted. Continue to heat until it is as hot as you like. Enjoy!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat before serving.