This EASY dairy-free hot chocolate comes together in UNDER 10 minutes!
Made with almond milk, coconut milk, cocoa powder and dairy-free chocolate chips. It is thick and creamy and will warm you right up!
There’s nothing better than curling up with a delicious mug of hot chocolate! This dairy-free hot chocolate is rich, creamy and made with pantry staples.
I often double or triple this easy recipe to feed a crowd and everyone always asks for the recipe. It’s so decadent, they are always surprised to find out it’s dairy-free!
You can customize this hot chocolate to your tastes. I love adding a little bit of peppermint extract to make peppermint hot chocolate. You can also add more or less sweetener depending on what you like.
This hot chocolate is:
- Easy & Creamy!
- Delicious topped with vegan marshmallows or coconut cream whipped cream!
Table of Contents
VIDEO: How to Make It
Does Hot Chocolate contain Dairy?
Hot chocolate usually contains dairy as it is most often made with milk. However, there are many great non-dairy milk options available to easily make hot chocolate dairy-free. I like to use a combination of almond milk and coconut milk in this recipe.
You also might like this article on Starbucks gluten-free.
Ingredients for Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate
For this dairy free hot chocolate recipe you need just a few simple ingredients. I love this recipe because I almost always have everything on hand to make it.
- Almond milk: I prefer to use unsweetened almond milk so I can control the amount of sweetness. You could also use oat milk, cashew milk or your favorite dairy-free milk you like!
- Coconut milk: I prefer to use canned full-fat coconut milk (rather than boxed coconut milk) because it makes the hot chocolate extra creamy. Regular or light will work great!
- Dairy-free chocolate chips: Be sure to select a brand that doesn’t contain dairy. I like the semi-sweet chocolate chips from Trader Joe’s, Costco brand or Enjoy Life Foods. Dark chocolate is also usually dairy-free!
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: You could also use cacao powder.
- Sugar: I use organic cane sugar but coconut sugar or pure maple syrup will also work.
- Vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
Try topping this hot chocolate with vegan marshmallows!
It comes together in UNDER 10 minutes!
Making this homemade hot chocolate is almost as simple as opening a premixed hot chocolate packet and mixing it with milk. But it’s 100% more delicious! All you do is:
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Whisk until smooth.
- Heat over medium heat (whisking often) until the chocolate is melted and the hot chocolate is a temperature you like.
- Serve and enjoy!
I like to top this hot chocolate with marshmallows (also naturally dairy-free!) or coconut whipped cream. It always reminds me of the hot chocolate in the Polar Express in that it’s “rich as melted chocolate bars”.
For another fun hot chocolate recipe try these hot chocolate spoons!
You can use a variety of milks to make dairy-free hot chocolate. Oat milk, almond milk and cashew milk are all great choices. It is best to use unsweetened milk since hot chocolate mix usually contains added sugar.
Hot chocolate is usually made with milk or cream and chocolate that contains dairy. However many hot chocolates can be made with dairy-free milk, such as almond or coconut milk, and dark chocolate to keep them dairy-free.
Lately I have been loving oat milk as a dairy milk substitute! It is creamy and gets great foam like regular milk. The fact that it easily foams makes it a favorite choice for baristas too!
You also might like this article on is oat milk gluten-free?
I hope you love this dairy-free hot cocoa recipe as much as we do! If you try it, be sure to leave me a comment/rating below!
Easy, Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk (regular or light)
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar (or maple syrup)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Add all the ingredients to a medium saucepan. Whisk to combine.
- Heat over medium-high and whisk until the chocolate chips are melted. Continue to heat until it is as hot as you like. Enjoy!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat before serving.