This EASY dairy-free hot comes together in UNDER 10 minutes! Made with almond milk, coconut milk, cocoa powder and dairy-free chocolate chips. It is creamy, thick and delicious and will warm you right up!
There’s nothing better than curling up with a delicious mug of hot chocolate! This dairy-free hot chocolate is rich, creamy and so easy to make.
I often double or triple the recipe to feed a crowd and everyone always asks for the recipe. It’s so decadent, they are always surprised to find out it’s dairy-free!
You can customize this hot chocolate to your tastes. I love adding a little bit of peppermint extract to make peppermint hot chocolate. You can also add more or less sweetener depending on what you like.
This hot chocolate is:
- Easy & Creamy!
Does Hot Chocolate contain Dairy?
Hot chocolate usually contains dairy as it is most often made with milk. However, there are many great non-dairy milk options available to easily make hot chocolate dairy-free. I like to use a combination of almond milk and coconut milk in this recipe.
Ingredients for Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate
For this hot chocolate you need just a few pantry staples. I love this recipe because I almost always have everything on hand to make it.
- Almond milk: I prefer to use unsweetened almond milk so I can control the amount of sweetness
- Coconut milk: I prefer to use canned (rather than boxed) coconut milk because it makes the hot chocolate extra creamy. Regular or light will work great!
- Dairy-free chocolate chips: Be sure to select a brand that doesn’t contain dairy. I like the semi-sweet chocolate chips from Trader Joe’s, Costco brand or Enjoy Life Foods.
- Cocoa powder
- Sugar (or maple syrup)
- Vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
It comes together in UNDER 10 minutes!
Making this almond milk hot chocolate is almost as simple as opening a premixed hot chocolate packet and mixing it with milk. But it’s 100% more delicious! All you do is:
- Combine all the ingredients in a pot. Whisk until smooth.
- Heat (whisking often) until the chocolate is melted and the hot chocolate is a temperature you like.
- Serve and enjoy!
I like to top this hot chocolate with marshmallows (also naturally dairy-free!) or coconut whipped cream. It always reminds me of the hot chocolate in the Polar Express in that it’s “rich as melted chocolate bars”.
For another fun hot chocolate recipe try these hot chocolate spoons!
I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine does! If you love this recipe leave me a comment below. I’d love to hear from you!
More Dairy-Free Treats:
Gluten-Free Banana Bread a long-time reader favorite!
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread perfect for the winter months
Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies vegan and kid-friendly
Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk (regular or light)
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar (or maple syrup)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Add all the ingredients to a medium saucepan. Whisk to combine.
- Heat over medium-high and whisk until the chocolate chips are melted. Continue to heat until it is as hot as you like. Enjoy!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat before serving.