Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Biscotti! Dipped in chocolate and full of mini chocolate chips. Crunchy, dippable and totally addictive!
This post was created in partnership with Enjoy Life Foods.
Are you a biscotti lover? Until recently I didn’t know how delicious biscotti could be! I use to think of it as a dry, bland, crunchy cookie not worth the trouble.
This recipe has changed my opinion about biscotti! It can be so tasty with it’s toasted flavor and crunchy texture – especially when it’s smothered in chocolate!
This biscotti is completely free of any allergens making it a great option for those who have to be nut-free, dairy-free or egg-free in addition to being gluten-free.
Applesauce is the secret ingredient that binds the biscotti together. I also like to use a high-quality gluten-free 1:1 baking flour to achieve the right texture.
If you’ve never made biscotti before, the process is actually really fun! After you mix the dough together you form it into a loaf then bake it until it’s set.
The size of the loaf will determine the width and length of your cookies so be mindful while shaping it. I like to make my loaf long (almost the whole width of the baking sheet) and compact as it will spread out a bit as it bakes.
After the loaf is set you carefully slice it into cookie slices – or biscotti! The biscotti cookies are then baked a 2nd time which makes them perfectly crispy and toasty.
I am a fan of anything dipped in chocolate and these cookies are wonderfully rich and decadent with chocolate in every bite.
Just like this recipe, all Enjoy Life Foods products are Top-8 allergen-free – so you can enjoy these with peace of mind!
These cookies are great because you can make them ahead of time and they are still delicious days later. That isn’t always the case with gluten-free baked goods that tend to be best the day they are made.
So if you need an allergy-friendly holiday treat you can make in advance – these biscotti are the perfect choice!
Gluten-Free Vegan Chocolate Chip Biscotti
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature (acts as a binder)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free measure-for-measure flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Enjoy Life Foods Mini Chocolate Chips
- 1 9 oz bag Enjoy Life Foods Dark Chocolate Morsels
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, coconut oil, applesauce and vanilla. Using a hand mixer, mix to combine.
- In another bowl, combine the gluten-free flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk together. Add half of the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix to combine. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
- Add the mini chocolate chips and mix in evenly. Pour the dough out onto the prepared baking sheet. Form the dough into a long loaf shape that is almost as long as the baking sheet. (See video if needed!)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven and using a serrated knife, carefully slice into biscotti-like slices. Place cut side up then bake for another 30 minutes, flipping the cookies once halfway through.
- Let the biscotti cool completely. Melt the dark chocolate morsels in a microwave-safe bowl on 50% power, stirring every 15 seconds so the chocolate doesn't heat too quickly. Dip the cookies in the chocolate and place back on the lined baking sheet until the chocolate is set.
- Store leftover biscotti in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Enjoy!