These Ice Cream Crunch Bars are one of our new favorite summer desserts. They are so good we’ve been calling them I Scream Bars!
Today I’m also teaming up with some of my fellow gluten-free bloggers to bring you a Hot August Nights Ice Cream Social! All these amazing bloggers have each created a gluten-free ice cream recipe.
Along with the recipes we’re each hosting a giveaway on our blogs. I’m giving away my favorite ice cream maker. I’ve had this Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker for a few years and it’s never let me down. It works well for just about any ice cream recipe, including my favorite Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream. I love how easy it is to use and how fun it is to make homemade ice cream with my kids at home. You can enter the giveaway below!
Be sure to check out all these delicious gluten-free (any many dairy-free) recipes from all these awesome bloggers! Each blog is also hosting an ice-cream related giveaway, so hope over to all the blogs and enter the giveaways.
Paleo Hot Fudge Sauce by What the Fork Food Blog
Ice Cream Crunch Bars by Meaningful Eats
Gluten-Free Vegan Mug Brownie Sundae by Gluten Free Palate
Peanut Butter Ice Cream Topping by My Gluten Free Kitchen
Peaches & Cream Protein Ice Cream by Making It Milk Free
No Churn Dairy Free Honey Vanilla Ice Cream by Flippin Delicious
Strawberry Rhubarb Sherbet by Cafe Johnsonia
GF, Vegan Waffle Cones by Gluten-Free Homemaker
Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Fudge Waffle Sundaes by Sarah Bakes Gluten Free
Granola Bar “Fried” Ice cream w/ Creme’ Anglaise by Gluten Free Frenzy
Part of the reason I love these ice cream bars is because they are so easy to make. The topping is made of crispy rice cereal, cashews and coconut. The ice cream inside is any kind you like! The flavor of these reminds of me fried ice cream. These make a great treat for parties!
I like these best with dairy-free ice cream (I like So Delicious Creamy Cashew Vanilla), but they are also amazing with chocolate ice cream or even strawberry. Just use an ice cream that doesn’t have big chunks so the bars are even. Here’s a video on how to make them!
(Just a note Rice Crispys are not gluten-free because they contain malt syrup.)
You can use any ice cream you like here! My favorite is So Delicious Creamy Cashew Vanilla to keep these dairy-free. I’ve also made these with this homemade ice cream and they were unreal. Any kind you like, as long as there are not big chunky ingredients, will work.
- 3/4 cup unsalted cashews, chopped
- 2 cups crispy rice cereal (be sure it’s gluten-free)
- 1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 pints ice cream (see note above)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Set out the ice cream for 30 minutes to allow it to soften.
- Place the cashews, crispy rice cereal, coconut, salt, brown sugar, and butter on a baking sheet. Toss everything to combine evenly. Bake for 15 minutes total, stirring every 5 minutes for even toasting. Watch the mixture carefully the last 5 minutes so it doesn’t burn. The coconut should be nice and toasted.
- Allow the mixture to cool. Place the softened ice cream in a bowl and stir until smooth.
- Line an 8×8 inch pan with foil. Place half the crunch mixture on the bottom of pan. Add the ice cream in 4-5 dollaps over top, then carefully smooth. Add the rest of the crunch mixture on top and press slightly to smooth.
- Chill the bars for at least 6 hours until set. Slice and serve. Enjoy! The bars will keep for 1 week in the freezer.
MAKE IT DAIRY-FREE/VEGAN: Use dairy-free ice cream. Swap out the butter for Earth Balance Buttery sticks.
- Serving Size: 8