Soft, moist, grain-free, spiced Paleo Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies are full of chocolate chunks. A fall classic.
Pumpkin season is upon us – aka my favorite time of year! I love fall, pumpkin, apple, and anything spiced with cinnamon for that matter! This fall, I have to keep reminding myself that it is indeed fall.
We recently moved to San Diego and I feel like summer has frozen in time. Even though the weather changes here are more slight, all of my favorite fall produce is starting to come in season!
Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies have always been one of my favorites.
They are always temptingly available in plastic cartons in the bakery section of grocery stores this time of year. Since I can’t eat those anymore, I wanted to create a gluten-free version for my family and I to enjoy.
This recipe turned out fantastic! Like many of my other cookie recipes, nobody will ever guess they are gluten-free. As I recall, most pumpkin chocolate chip cookies are moist and cake-like.
These are just that; soft, lightly sweet, spiced with cinnamon, moist, and full of chocolate chunks. My husband and little boy happily ate these with me all weekend.
As a follow up to my last post, I found out through allergy testing with my doctor and an elimination diet that the cause of all my unresolved issues is a dairy intolerance.
This news actually isn’t too shocking to me, since many people with celiac disease are also dairy-intolerant.
I already eat almost dairy-free, but the little bits here and there seem to be having an effect on my body.
So for now I am strictly eliminating dairy! Look for more recipes in the future that are now both gluten and dairy-free 🙂
Low Carb Magic Cookie Bars from All Day I Dream About Food
Paleo Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/4 cup organic palm shortening or butter, I use the brand Spectrum or Tropical Traditions
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar, or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canned or fresh pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, cream together the palm shortening, coconut oil, and coconut sugar until light and fluffy. Add the pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla and blend until smooth.
- If your coconut and almond flour and lumpy, as mine often are, sift them together before adding them to the mixture. Add all the dry ingredients and mix to combine. Stir in the chocolate chips. The dough will look wet.
- Scoop the cookie dough onto the baking sheet. With wet hands, slightly flatten each cookie as they will not spread much during baking. Bake for 12-14 minutes. Cool on the tray for 5 minutes. Enjoy!