Flourless Chocolate Cookies! Easy, naturally gluten-free and so decadent! Rich and fudgy chocolate cookies with a crackly top and soft center. Add marshmallows and walnuts to make these Rocky Road Cookies!
Bring these cookies to your next party or bake sale! They are EASY to make but seem fancy. These cookies are always a crowd-pleaser and perfect for a gluten-free option!
If you love rich, decadent chocolate desserts like flourless chocolate cake – these cookies are for you! They are soft and fudgy with the perfect amount of chew.
These were some of the first cookies I ever made when I was diagnosed with celiac disease back in 2012. Back then I figured anything “flourless” would be naturally gluten-free. I also thought I couldn’t go wrong translating something as delicious as flourless chocolate cake to a cookie. And I was right!
How to Make Flourless Chocolate Cookies
Flourless cookies! How can it be? Flourless cookies often rely on nut butter for structure and texture. However, these cookies get their distinctive crackly top (almost like a brownie!) and gooey center from a base of egg whites and powdered sugar. These cookies are super easy to make with just 6 pantry-staple ingredients!
STEP ONE – Mix the powdered sugar, cocoa powder and salt together in a bowl. Whisk everything together until incorporated.
STEP 3 – See the consistency in this photo? It’s not quite right – a little too thick. Adding one more egg white should do the trick! You want the dough to resemble thick brownie batter.
STEP 4 – This looks like the right consistency! Now you’ll fold in the chocolate chips. After that let the batter rest for 15 minutes.
STEP 5 – Scoop the dough out onto parchment-lined baking sheets. I like to lightly spray the parchment with a little cooking spray before baking so the cookies don’t stick. Then bake the cookies at 350F for 12-14 minutes.
STEP 6 – One of my favorite ways to make these cookies is to do a Rocky Road version! Add some marshmallows and walnuts to the dough. The marshmallows get all toasted and melty and the crunch of the walnuts is just perfect. Try it!
TIP: Add marshmallows and walnuts to take these cookies to the next level!
See what I mean? That toasted marshmallow is delicious! Either version is delicious – but I prefer the Rocky Road!
These naturally gluten-free cookies seem like they’re made in a fancy bakery, but they’re secretly so easy to make. I love bringing them to bake sales for this reason!
Tips for Flourless Chocolate Cookies
More Flourless Cookie Recipes:
Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies – The easiest peanut butter cookies you’ll ever make! Only 5 ingredients needed.
Peanut Butter Monster Cookies – These cookies use ground up oats instead of flour. Add your favorite mix-ins like mini PB cups or M&Ms!
Chocolate Coconut Cloud Cookies – Easy to make with egg whites, coconut, and sugar. Smothered in melted chocolate and sprinkled with macadamia nuts!
Gluten-Free Vegan Brownie Cookies from Sarah Bakes Gluten-Free
What should you make for DINNER TONIGHT?
Check out my Gluten-Free Tried-and-True Dinner Recipes!
Flourless Chocolate Cookies
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup marshmallows + 1/2 cup walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper lightly with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Beat in two egg whites and the vanilla extract until the batter is moistened. You're looking for a brownie-like, thick and fudgy batter consistency. If it seems too thick, add another egg white - then a 4th one if it still seems too thick. Fold in chocolate chips. Let the batter rest for 15 minutes.
- Spoon batter onto the prepared baking sheets in 12 evenly spaced mounds per cookie sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until the tops are glossy and lightly cracked. Slide the parchment paper (with the cookies) onto wire racks. Cool completely. Enjoy!
- Make it DAIRY-FREE: Use dairy-free chocolate chips like Enjoy Life Foods to keep these cookies dairy-free.
- The 15 minute rest helps these cookies have the perfect texture and consistency.
Original pictures from 2012: