The combination of oats, chocolate, pecans, and caramel is truly decadent! The top layer is crumbly and crisp with a glorious middle layer of soft melted caramel and chocolate. The chopped pecans give it all the perfect crunch. I’m pretty sure I don’t need to say anything else!
After creating a dairy-free caramel sauce, I was excited to make a gluten-free, dairy-free version of these bars! They taste exactly like I remember and are definitely one of my favorite bar cookies. My husband didn’t complain about my need to recreate these. Between him, me, and our son, these didn’t last long at our house!Print
Use any recipe or store bought caramel sauce you like for these. For the flour, I like Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 gluten-free baking flour in the blue bag.
- 1 3/4 cup gluten-free instant oats
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons psyllium husk or 1 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum(omit if your all-purpose blend contains xanthan gum)
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 sticks butter (or vegan butter)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cups caramel sauce or a double batch of dairy-free caramel sauce mixed with 1 1/2 tablespoons gluten-free flour
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease an 9×13 inch pan.
- Combine the oats, flour, psyllium (if using), brown sugar, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix to combine evenly. Add the butter and egg and mix to combine until crumbly.
- Place 1/2 of the oat mixture in the bottom of the prepared pan. Press to make an even layer. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle on the chocolate chips and pecans. Pour the caramel sauce over the chocolate and nuts. Take the remaining oat mixture and press it over the top. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, until the top is golden.
- Allow the pan to cool, and refrigerate it until the caramel filling is set. Cut into bars and enjoy!
*I use Better Batter All-Purpose flour for special treats like this and it works great.
*I use dairy-free chocolate chips from the brand Enjoy Life. Costco also sells a big bag of dairy-free chocolate chips.