Lightly pickled cucumbers tossed with ripe tomatoes and fresh herbs – is there anything better in the summer? I could eat cucumbers and fresh summer tomatoes by themselves all day, but the marinade and fresh herbs in this salad really puts them over the top. This is always a hit at parties and barbecues. Every time I make it there isn’t a single cucumber left!
I like using English or Hot House cucumbers in this recipe. If you use regular cucumbers I would peel and seed them. This salad is great with any kind of tomato. Cherry, beefsteak, roma – they all work! Whatever you have on hand. I also like adding thinly sliced red onion. This salad is the perfect way to lighten up a classic summer barbecue with burgers, baked beans, and potato salad. I would like to mention I’m eternally grateful most good barbecue food is naturally gluten-free. I’m all about the sides when it comes to barbecues. This one is no exception!
- 3 English (also known as hot house) cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup red onion, very thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple cider or red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped (or 2-3 cups of any tomato you like)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Place the cucumbers and red onion in a bowl. Whisk together the water, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and oil until the sugar is dissolved. Pour over the cucumbers and onions and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Pour off all but a few tablespoons of the liquid. Add the tomatoes and herbs and toss to combine. Serve and enjoy!