Are Swedish Fish gluten-free? Check out this post to find out everything you need to know about these popular candies.
Swedish Fish are the perfect mix of sweetness and soft, chewy texture. They make the ideal snack for an outing to the movies or when hosting a game night at home.
Though the classic red Swedish Fish are most popular, they also come in lots of other tasty flavors and colors.
So are Swedish Fish gummy candy gluten-free?
Short answer: Yes! Swedish Fish aren’t labeled gluten-free in the U.S. market — but they’re not made with any ingredients that contain gluten, and are typically considered safe to eat on a gluten-free diet.
Table of Contents
Are Swedish Fish Gluten-Free?
Though Swedish Fish do not have a gluten-free label, they’re made with ingredients that do not contain gluten. (Sugar, corn syrup, modified corn starch, citric acid, white mineral oil, natural and artificial flavor, red 40, and carnauba wax.)
This means Swedish Fish aren’t certified gluten-free, but they’re usually safe to eat on a gluten-free diet.
Of course, if you have an extreme gluten allergy, you may want to avoid them all together. Ingredients may change or vary from one country to another, so it’s important to always check the label.
Do Swedish Fish have gluten or dairy?
No. Swedish Fish are gluten- and dairy-free. They’re made from sugar, corn syrup, modified corn starch, and other gluten- and dairy-free ingredients. They’re also free of peanuts and soy, making them a great snack for groups with food allergies.
Are Swedish Fish vegan and gluten-free?
Yes, Swedish Fish are vegan and gluten-free. Many gummy candies are made with gelatin, which comes from cows. However, the gummy texture of Swedish Fish comes from a combination of ingredients like corn syrup, carnauba wax, and modified corn starch. This means Swedish Fish are suitable for both vegan and gluten-free diets.
Which Swedish Fish Candies Are Gluten-Free?
Good news! All of the different types of Swedish Fish are made without gluten-containing ingredients. This means they’re one of those gluten-free candies that people with Celiac disease can usually eat without worry.
Here’s a list of every naturally gluten-free Swedish Fish product:
- Swedish Fish Assorted Candy
- Swedish Fish Assorted Soft & Chewy Candy
- Swedish Fish Bags Original Soft & Chewy Assorted Candy
- Swedish Fish Brand Soft & Chewy Candy Christmas Colors
- Swedish Fish Mini Crush Flavored Candy
- Swedish Fish Mini Tropical Flavored Candy
- Swedish Fish Original Soft & Chewy Candy
- Swedish Fish Tails Candy
- Swedish Fish Tropical Flavored
- Swedish Fish Soft & Chewy Candy
- Swedish Fish Soft Candy Berry Fat-Free
- Swedish Fish Eggs Assorted Soft & Chewy Candy
- Swedish Fish Hearts BG
- Swedish Fish Mini Candy
- Swedish Fish Candy
- Swedish Fish Candy Go-Paks!
Which Gummy Candies Are Gluten-Free?
Fortunately, lots of gummy candies are gluten-free. Here are a few of the most popular options:
- Sour Patch Kids
- Sour Patch Watermelon
- Boston Fruit Slices
- All Trolli Gummies (With the exception of Trolli Twisted Sour Brite Crawlers and Trolli Sour Brite Bites)
- Brach’s Wild ‘N Fruity Gummi Worms
- Ferrara Jelly Beans
- All Jelly Bellies
- Haribo Gummy Bears
- Haribo Fruity Pasta
- Haribo Peaches
- Haribo Watermelon
- Black Forest Gummies and Fruit Snacks
- Lemonheads (Regular and Chewy)
- Sathers Gummies
- Warheads Sour Worms
- Mike and Ike Original Fruits
- Hot Tamales
Where to Buy Swedish Fish
Swedish Fish can be found in a wide variety of grocery stores, convenience stores, drug stores, and more, both in-store and online. Here are some of the top places to shop for Swedish Fish:
- Target: Target sells Swedish Fish in bags and boxes, in “family size,” “share size,” or in a 3.1 oz box.
- Walmart: Walmart sells Swedish Fish in stores and online. You can find a variety of Swedish Fish mini flavors, boxes of Swedish Fish, and 3.5 lbs bags of Swedish Fish.
- Amazon: Amazon sells Swedish Fish in bulk, so you can buy small 3.6 oz bags, boxes, or even individually wrapped Swedish Fish at bulk pricing.
- Michael’s: You can buy assorted flavor Swedish Fish online at Michaels.com, or in store at the checkout.
- Rite Aid: Rite Aid sells Swedish Fish in a variety of sizes and flavors, including Swedish Fish mini and regular sizes.
- Walgreens: Walgreens sells classic Swedish Fish, Swedish Fish Tails, and Swedish Fish and Friends.
- Jo-Ann Stores: Jo-Ann stores sell Swedish Fish Red White & Blue bag in mini sizes, along with other varieties.
- Party City: Party City sells Swedish Fish in fun size bags in bulk, which makes a great gluten-free party favor or for passing out as Halloween candy.
Yes, all flavors of Swedish Fish are gluten-free, including the Red White and Blue flavor. Even though they aren’t certified gluten-free, they’re made with ingredients that do not contain gluten.
Yes, Swedish Fish are dairy-free. They’re made without any milk products and are even vegan-friendly!
Yes, Swedish Fish were originally made in Sweden by the Swedish candy producer Malaco. In the late 1950s, Malaco partnered with Cadbury to start selling Swedish Fish in the United States.
Swedish Fish were originally made in Sweden, but today they’re also made and distributed by Mondelēz International in the United States, along with several other countries.
Yes! According to the ingredient list, Sour Patch Kids made without any gluten ingredients and can be considered a gluten-free product.
Yes, DOTS gumdrops are gluten-free, as reported by manufacturer Tootsie Roll Inc. They’re also Kosher and peanut-free!
Yes, Starbursts are a gluten-free candy that is safe for a gluten-free diet or for those with Celiac disease. They’re made with sugar, corn syrup, and hydrogenated palm kernel oil, along with other gluten-free ingredients.
Yes, Skittles are a gluten-free candy that is okay for people with Celiac disease or a gluten intolerance. They even have a gluten-free label, making them certified gluten-free.
Yes, Sour Patch Watermelon are completely gluten-free, along with almost all Sour Patch products, including Sour Patch Kids, Sour Patch Peaches, and more.
Swedish Fish are a gluten free candy.
Even though Swedish Fish don’t have a gluten-free label and aren’t certified gluten-free, most people consider them completely safe to eat on a gluten-free diet. They’re not made with any gluten ingredients and are a great sweet treat for any occasion!
Enjoy those sweet fishy treats!